Disabling SIP on Unofficial Macs for the Private API
Sometimes VMs/Hackintoshes/Patched Macs can be a bit finnicky to disable SIP - oftentimes you will only end up with SIP partially disabled when running
csrutil disablein the terminal.
Here are some steps that have worked for our users running various different unofficial macOS.
Use the OpenCore Configurator and check the following boxes:
Once complete, build OpenCore again and reboot. Done!
- 1.Mount the EFI Partition using OpenCore
- 2.Open the config.plist file in the OC folder (I opened in OpenCore)
- 3.Create two entries:
- 1.NVRAM -> Delete -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config
- 2.NVRAM -> Add -> 7C436110-AB2A-4BBB-A880-FE41995C9F82 -> csr-active-config: Value: 67000000
- 1.Start by booting to macOS and opening a Terminal application window. Next, enter the command given below. This will create a NVRAM variable with the desired value, but misspelled variable name. This misspelling will be corrected in a later step.\sudo nvram Asr-active-config=%7f%00%00%00
- 2.Shutdown macOS. Add the following to the bottom of the VMX file:\bios.forceSetupOnce = "TRUE"Save the VMX file and boot up macOS.\
- 3.You should be brought to the Boot Manager screen below. Select the
EFI Internal Shell, as shown below.\
- 4.Set the current filesystem to the EFI volume. This should be the mapped
fs0filesystem, so you would enter the following\fs0:Next, verify the label is
EFIby entering the command below.\volIf wrong, then try
- 5.Enter the command below to save the
Asr-active-configvariable to the file
csr.bin.\dmpstore Asr-active-config -s csr.binNext, enter the command below to edit the
csr.binfile.\hexedit csr.binYou will need to correct the spelling by replacing the letter
Awith the letter
c. The can be done by typing a
41on the first line. The corrected file will appear as shown below. When finished save the changes and exit.Enter the command below to create the
csr-active-configvariable in NVRAM.\dmpstore -l csr.binSIP will now be disabled on the next boot of macOS. If desired, enter the command below to remove the
Asr-active-configvariable from NVRAM.\dmpstore -d Asr-active-config
- 6.Enter the command below to leave the command shell.\exitFrom the
Boot Manager, select
Mac OS Xto boot macOS.\
- 1.Shutdown your VM
- 2.Choose Power on to Firmware from the Virtual Machine menu
- 3.Select “Enter Setup”
- 4.Boot from a file
- 5.Arrow down to Recovery HD
- 6.Hit enter until you can pick
- 8.Hit enter
- 9.You are now in recovery mode - open terminal from the Utilities menu, type
csrutil disable, and reboot your VM.
SIP should now be disabled and you can proceed with setting up the Private API!